Shabby blogs Board Shorts

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Elder Utley will be serving in the....

Texas, McAllen Spanish speaking Mission!

Wow, what a relief to finally know when and where! We are all so excited! It's been a whirlwind of a day. I checked the mail at about 1:30 and it wasn't there. I thought I would drive around the neighborhood to see if the mailman was anywhere near (we have a community mailbox down the street so I can't see it from my house). After driving around for a few minutes I didn't see him so I started driving home when he passed me going the opposite direction. I turned around and started following him so I could get an idea of how long until he would be at our mailbox. I hurried home and ate lunch and then went back just as the mailman was filling our box at 2:15. He wouldn't hand me my mail so I stood next to him and waited for him to finish loading the boxes. I unlocked my box and there it was! I took a picture of the letter with my phone camera and texted it to Michael and Marty. As hard as it was to wait, we had decided to open the letter at 5:30 because Michael and his friends had tickets to a concert and had to leave around 6:00 and Marty and Nicole had Mutual. It was kind of crazy with a house full of teenagers, family and a bunch of neighbor kids who had been playing with Sarah and Isaac, so I didn't hear where he was going at first. We fed everyone sloppy joes and then Michael and his friends were off to the concert. Michael did take a few minutes to check on maps.google.com to see exactly where McAllen, Texas is. It's great to see Michael so excited! We are also excited because he will be entering the Missionary Training Center on September 3rd, the same day as his cousin Matt who will be going to Rome, Italy! It's been fun having everyone guess where Michael is going. There were 138 guesses (most people guessed a foreign location and a state side location). We had six people guess Texas (Nicole, Jason, Teresa, Kori, Anne and Brandon). My Aunt Anne and Brandon Schvaneveldt both guessed Texas, Spanish speaking so they will BOTH win a prize. Yay! Thanks to all of you for making this process so fun and for your love and support! I know that Michael's mission call is inspired and that he is going where the Lord needs him. I also know that a mission is the best place for Michael to be at this time in his life. I remember hearing a talk in church years ago by a boy who said, "a mission may not be the best two years OF my life but it will definitely be the best two years FOR my life". I absolutely believe that!Please keep Michael in your prayers as he prepares for his mission!

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats Michael! WE are all excited for you. Especially Lizzy who is a REAL Texan!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! That's wonderful. (For him and for you Linda, it's not too far away or somewhere scary). What a great opportunity to learn Spanish, which we will all one day need to know. Both of my parents went on Spanish speaking missions and they use it all the time. Even just to order a hamburger through the drive-thru.

Hooray!

Heather D. White said...

OH NO WAY! McAllen...the good old "Armpit of Texas!" He will love it!!! One of my closest friends and my roommate my first year at the Y (you may remember my blog entry about her) is from McAllen. I believe her parents still live there...Ted & Ann Brann. I love Texas.....he will love it too!!!! And SPANISH SPEAKING....bonus! That will be something he will be so grateful for. Even with my German language skills, I really wish I spoke Spanish as well.....I would be able to use it EVERY DAY! CONGRATS ELDER UTLEY!!!!!

Melissa said...

Yeah, I love Texas! I'm so happy for you guys!

TG and Steph said...

Congrats Michael! I'm so excited for you. You'll be a great missionary!

Daily Jot & Tittle said...

That is perfect! What a great place to go! Congratulations!

{Brittany} said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting (except that I didn't win). Good luck with the preparations!!

britta said...

Congrats! That is Awesome!
P.S I got a hold of Mindi

Tam said...

Wow that's awesome! One of my favorite companions was from Texas. It must be a relief to have all the suspense gone and finally know where he's going. Now you can start with all the fun preparing....Don't mess with Texas!

Jordan said...

Congratulations!!! I hear it seems like a foreign country when you speak a different language. and spanish is a great one to know. Enjoy the summer with your son.