Shabby blogs Board Shorts

Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day



We celebrated Father's Day for Marty on Saturday with a turkey dinner because we wanted to dedicate Sunday to our own Fathers. The kids and I each gave Marty gift cards and coupons for date nights with each of us individually so Marty will be having very busy weekends for a while. Isaac refused to call his a "date" because he said that boys can't go on dates with other boys.

I am blessed to have the best Dad in the world! My dad has always made me feel so special and loved. It has been hard to watch him suffer from the effects of Parkinson's Disease but I have been so amazed at his attitude and his persistence. He makes the best of a challenging situation and I honestly have never heard him complain!
Some of the things I love about my dad:
1. He gave me the nickname "Pindy". I don't know exactly how he came up with it but it's always made me feel special to have my own nickname. My brother Steve and Marty sometimes call me "Pindy" (but Marty changed it to "Pindypoo").
2. When I was little my dad would say "come in here so I can give you a spanking". I followed him into his room where he would reach into his closet and pull out a chocolate and give it to me. He NEVER actually spanked me!
3. My dad is friends with EVERYONE and especially had fun meeting people from other countries. He would take us to Korean stores where he had become friends with the owners and he would always buy us a little treat (usually rice candy with an edible wrapper). I always loved going with him to any store because he would always buy me some kind of treat.
4. My dad has such a fun sense of humor.He always has a joke to tell and my favorite part is when he laughs at his own jokes!
5. One of my favorite things to do is listen to my dad's amazing stories about growing up in Germany during World War II. A couple of years ago he told me a story that I had never heard before. I don't remember all of the details, but basically: He was a young boy, about 12 or 13 when he and a friend saw an American soldier parachute from a plane and land in a nearby field.(the plane crashed shortly after). He and his friend thought it would be cool to capture the poor soldier which they did. A farmer who had also seen the parachute had called the police and when they came looking for the soldier, my dad and his friend got in trouble.
6. My dad loves to entertain the kids. He used to have quite the hat collection but had to narrow it down quite a bit when they thought they would be moving to Europe. He still likes to put on some of his different hats once in a while and always makes us laugh...especially at the funny faces he makes to go along with them!
7. My dad always seemed to have kidney stones when I was growing up so he drank cranberry juice to help with the stones. We always called it "daddy juice" and it was a special treat when we got a taste.
8. I must have been only about 4 or 5 years old when I remember my dad swinging me back and forth between his knees. He would sing a little German song while he did this and I remember how much fun it was.
9. My dad is a very talented writer! He has been published many times, most recently in genealogical magazines.
10. I don't know anyone who has more friends than my dad! He knows and loves everyone and they love him right back. He has impacted the lives of SO many people in so many ways!

Not only do I have the best dad, but I am very fortunate to have a wonderful father-in-law as well! Marty's dad has always made me feel part of the family. He is one of the most honest and trustworthy people I know! I love the relationship that Marty and his dad have. Marty constantly tells us stories of what he has learned from his dad and the impact these lessons have had on his life.

2 comments:

Heather D. White said...

Loved this entry...love the things you love about your Dad. Your pics from Father's DAy are great! I have to side with Marty on your nickname...So glad he changed the nickname to PindyPOO! LOL! LOVE IT!

The Rivas Family said...

Linda,
I love hearing stories about Grandpa. He is so great and special. He is also good at making everyone feel loved and special. I love him so very much. I think our family is so lucky to have him in our lives.