Shabby blogs Board Shorts

Saturday, September 6, 2008

The MTC experience

Happy! Sad! Proud! Excited! Full of love! These are just a few of the feelings that I've been having lately - all mixed up together! I don't think there is any way to explain what it's like for a mom to send the son she has been raising for 19 years on a two year mission. It's something you can only understand from experience. It's something that we have been hoping for and planning for and preparing for his entire life, but now that the time has actually arrived I wonder how it got here so quickly! The emotions of it all have been SO much more than I ever imagined - but I wouldn't want it any other way.

When we arrived at the MTC, there were people everywhere but everything was so well organized! The cutest, friendliest elderly man welcomed us and told Marty where to drop all of us and Michael's luggage off and then where to park. We took a few pictures and then took the luggage to a holding place (where Michael picked it back up after the orientation).




Michael's cousin, Matt was entering the MTC at the same time (he's going to Rome, Italy!) so when we found him and his family we took more pictures and then headed for the orientation meeting.
It was great to share this special day with my brother and his family!


The families entered one door and the missionaries entered a separate door where they were given their missionary name tags. We met up again inside the building where I put Michael's tag on his suit and tried hard not to cry (but didn't succeed)!

My handsome missionary!
The orientation meeting began with everyone singing "Called to Serve", which was SO inspiring! I KNOW I won't be able to sing or hear that song ever again without tearing up! The opening prayer was given by a missionary going to the same mission as Michael. The MTC mission president and his wife gave wonderful, uplifting talks. They made sure that we knew that our boys were in good hands and would be taken care of. They said that after the last hugs and a lot of tears our sons would walk out of our arms and into the arms of the Savior! I can't explain the feeling of separation AND comfort as I realized how true that is! Michael had informed us that he wanted the final goodbye to be "like pulling off a band aid" fast and painless. We each gave him a quick hug (ok, so I gave him TWO), then he and his cousin Matt walked out the door on one side of the room and we headed to the door on the other side of the room. By this time I had NO makeup left on my face at all, and neither did Nicole. IF Marty wore makeup his would have been gone too! Sarah didn't shed a tear and later told me that she wanted to cry but was too embarrassed (silly girl). Isaac was teary but nothing like I thought he would be. He later said that he also felt like crying but had decided ahead of time to hold it in and just have a headache instead!!! I wish I could do that sometimes! As much as I miss him already, I know that Michael is where he wants to be and where he needs to be! He is the one who made the decision to go on a mission and I know that he (and our family) will be blessed for the sacrifices he is making. When he was set apart by the Stake President on Tuesday night, he bore a strong testimony of the truths that he will be teaching. He is determined and excited to learn Spanish and to learn more about the Gospel and how to teach those who are searching for truth and happiness. One friend told us, "This may not be the best two years of your life but it is definitely the best two years FOR your life"! I love that! I can already feel the blessings that come with having a missionary! Michael challenged Sarah and Isaac to read the Book of Mormon every day while he is gone and to pray more sincerely. I didn't even know of this challenge until Isaac came in my room the next morning and said that he had already said his prayers and read his scriptures. What a blessing it is to have the true Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives! Thank you to all of you who have had an influence on Michael and had a part in helping him prepare for this important part of his life (and I don't just mean the LDS friends and family)! Please keep Michael in your prayers. If you would like to write him a letter, just email me and I will give you his address.


My sisters-in-law (former and future missionary moms) told me about a missionary mom's e-mail group. The group consists of the mom's who have (or will have) missionaries serving in the same area. This group has been SO helpful to me as we've been preparing for Michael's mission. One of the moms and I found that our sons were going to the same mission and entering the MTC at the same time. She lives in California but after we left our sons at the MTC, she called my cell phone and we were able to meet. It is so nice having a new friend who I can share this experience with!


One of my sweet and thoughtful friends brought this much appreciated "Missionary mom survival kit". It was so cute! It included tissues "to wipe away your tears", Extra gum "just think of all the "extra" blessings", Snickers candy bars because "laughter is the best medicine", and of course chocolate Hugs and Kisses "for the one you will miss". I'm so blessed to have so many thoughtful friends and family members!


AND just in case you are wondering about Michael's braces...he will be getting a ride from someone at the MTC to his orthodontist in Draper (our friend, Clark)in a few weeks and will have them removed and get a retainer. NOTE to parents of future missionaries: Start orthodontic treatment early in JUNIOR high and then threaten your kids to wear their elastics ALWAYS! :)

6 comments:

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Thank you so much for your post! I can only imagine how bittersweet it is.

I think it is so neat that Matt and Michael were able to enter the MTC together.

Best of luck to Michael (and to you!) and I'm excited to hear about his experiences.

Love you and miss you!

P.s. Nicole just keeps getting more and MORE beautiful!!

Melissa said...

That must have been a very difficult day for you but that's so nice that he could go in the same day as Matt! I feel bad that I missed Michael's talk in church but we were out of town.
P.S. did you still need my email? It's pinkygurl21@hotmail.com

Teryl said...

Linda, I can't believe he is all grown up. In my mind Michael has always been six and starting first grade. And now he is a missionary.

Teryl

Rebecca said...

Ohhhhh. This made me cry! The MTC is such a fun, wonderful, sad, horrible, great day, isn't it? I think that is probably how a mission is too! But how fun is it that Matt and Michael are there at the same time. It will be fun to see how close to the same day they come home! Enjoy it, it goes so fast, and you will be amazed at that!

Natalie said...

I was totally bawling by the end of this post! That would be the most amazing experience to hear them all stand and sing "Called To Serve"! I'm so glad that he and Matt got to go through, that's just so neat! I'm excited that he's coming over here to Texas! One of my best friends mom lives down there, so maybe he'll be in her ward sometime! I'll have to find out what ward she's in. Anyways, congratulations and we're so proud of you all!!! You've raised an amazing son, and he'll be an amazing missionary, too!

Jordan said...

My mom loved the missionary mom email group thing. I can't believe you have a son on a mission. Congratulaions to you! You raised him right!!! I love the new family picture.