Shabby blogs Board Shorts

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Elder Utley Update

Michael was transferred to Corpus Christi at the end of December just before Christmas and is still there. His companion, Elder Pike, was recently transferred but Michael was glad to stay there a little longer because of the relationships he has made and the work he still has to do. His new companion is Elder Mathusek from New Jersey. Corpus Christi is very different from his last area. He speaks more English than Spanish but promises me that he still studies his Spanish every day. He and his companion have a car but he really misses riding his bike. It was so much easier to stop and talk to people and it was great exercise! He has really come to love the people in his area.

We got to talk to Michael on Christmas, which was awesome! He sounded so good and happy. I was sad that he didn't get his Christmas package because of his transfer, but thanks to the senior missionary couple that invited him and his companion over for Christmas morning, he at least got some socks! He did get his package a couple of weeks later. It's a good thing I didn't send any homemade cookies!

We get an email once a week from Michael and occasionally we get "snail mail". He started a long distance tic tac toe game with Sarah and the dot game with Isaac that they send back and forth. It is so much fun for the kids!

The blessings of having a missionary are amazing! I must admit that I miss him so much more than I ever thought I would but he is right where he should be and I wouldn't want it any other way! It's so great to see how much Michael has grown in so many ways! He is learning things about life that he could never learn any other way.

Thanks to those of you who have sent him packages and letters! It means a lot to him and to me! If you don't have his address and would like to write to him, let me know.

Here is a quote from Michael's most recent letter: "This week has been absolutely awesome! I am loving this work and gaining more of a love for the people. This week the other elders in my district and I taught the Elder's Quorum and our focus was on the difference between fellowshipping and friendshipping new investigators. We talked about how instead of just being new acquaintances, we should become friends with those investigating the church. Elder Mathusek and I have seen quite a few miracles this past week and it goes to show how the Lord really does work in mysterious ways."

Michael sent the first two pictures on Monday. A pretty exciting picture of his desk and a picture he took of himself.


The following pictures are of Michael and Elder Pike when they visited the Lexington air craft carrier with a senior couple also serving in Corpus Christi.


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh I love that area, it was close to where we lived in Texas. I love the picture of them with their ties flying in the wind. Fun.

Melissa said...

It was good to see you last night. Here's my email address: pinkygurl21@hotmail.com

britta said...

I wished I still lived there so I could have my child go to your preschool. You will be a wonderful pre-school teacher. Thank you for your response to my brother.