Michael has been in Texas for two weeks now and is doing GREAT! First I have to tell you about November 4th. While most of you were focused on the elections that day, I was anxiously waiting for a call from Michael. He first called from the SLC airport at about 7:25 a.m. It was perfect because he could talk to the kids before they left for school (we allowed Nicole to stay home until she could talk to Michael so she was a little late). I can't tell you how good it was to hear Michael's voice after only email or letter communication for two months! Marty and I had spent the entire night having crazy dreams about Michael's phone call - worrying that we would miss it or that he didn't remember our phone # etc. His first call was spent talking to the kids. He called again when he landed in Ft. Worth with a long lay-over. It was SO wonderful to talk to him for so long. I could finally ask him questions and get immediate answers and he had time to explain things in detail. (In the MTC he only had 30 minutes to email once a week). After talking to Michael I have NO DOUBT that he is 100% ready for his mission! He was already so different from just two months ago when we took him to the MTC! He had me look up a scripture and a section in the "Preach My Gospel" book while we were on the phone and he told us of amazing spiritual experiences he had in the MTC. Before he hung up he told us that he would like to bear his testimony - it was so powerful and Marty and I just bawled! When we hung up I said to Marty, "this is one of the best days of my life"!I felt like Michael was giving me the greatest reward a mom could receive for the hard work of raising a boy! (Sorry this is getting rather long!)
So, ANYWAY...Michael arrived safely in McAllen, TX and has been assigned to serve in Harlingen which is just North of Brownsville. His companion is from Guadalupe, Mexico and has only two more months left of his mission. We think having a companion from Mexico in the beginning of his mission will be very helpful with solidifying his Spanish! The people in his area treat the missionaries very well! He said that everywhere they go the people make them food "like tacos - and they serve rice and beans with every meal". He is really enjoying the Mexican food! Michael and his companion are the only elders in his district who ride bikes, and he says he loves if because they can talk to people as they ride around (and it's probably a good thing to get the extra exercise along with the extra food). He was excited to inform us that they have a baptism scheduled for the end of this month and several new investigators.
Elder Utley and Elder Lugo on a rainy day
Michael was able to email the following pictures to us. We had heard rumors that McAllen is known for their "bails of ties", and Michael had told us in his first email about a 1000 bail of ties that an investigator had delievered to their appartment - but we couldn't believe our eyes when we got an actual picture!!! This was Michael's introduction to the mission field......

As you can tell, Michael is doing GREAT! We are so proud of him and we truly can feel the blessings that come to our family because of his service. We appreciate all of your support and prayers! I'm sure Michael would love to get a letter from any of you! Let me know if you would like his address.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Elder Utley update...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Glad to hear he is doing so well. What a wonderful experience for all of you. I know that Isaac is very proud of him - by the comments he makes in primary.
I'm so glad he is safe and sound and happy! I'm glad that you had a pic of the ties because I was confused! Of course I want his address. I have a letter and pictures from the girls just sitting here waiting to go to Texas!
Oh my goodness. What will they ever do with all those ties!
Wow! He looks and sounds great! Maybe they could sell those ties on p-days and pay for college with them. Emily has seen a skirt made out of ties. Wouldn't it be fun to mail a tie a week to missionaries all over the world? Maybe they could send them to the MTC. What are they going to do with them all?
Awe I love missionary stories! And that tie picture is awesome.
Happy to hear he is doing so well. I can't believe he's already in the field. I have never seen so many ties in one place & I even worked in a Kiosk at the mall selling ties.
I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. It's also good to hear that you are doing so well also. All those ties are CRAZY. Oh the funny things that missionaries do. I'm sure you'll see many more funny pictures in the next couple years! Congrats!
Having a missionary out is such a wonderful experience for your whole family. You are one lucky mom to have such a great son. Glad everything is going so well.
You have such a pretty blog! Sounds like you're getting some sweet payback from that boy of yours. It must be so rewarding to see him bloom on the mission. Can't wait!
I don't know how often you check your comments, but I just wanted you to know I must really miss you! The last 2 nights I had dreams about you......in my dream last night, you had a baby!!!
Love you!
Mindi
I love to hear it! I cry just reading your stories. You are such an awesome mother and I appreciate your example! Go Elder Utley!
Hey I don't know if you guys remember me but I was in your ward when I was little. It's great to see an update on your family & that your son is on a mission! That is great!
Jessica, I totally remember you!! If you read this, please send me an email at linda.utley@comcast.net(and I would love to be invited to your blog too)!
Post a Comment