I have decided to take a challenge from my friend, Heather, who inspired me to start a blog in the first place. Every Monday she writes a question from her journal jar and answers that question. I have decided that this is a good way to write down my memories since that is the main reason I keep a blog anyway...to record memories.
So, here is the first question:DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE SCRIPTURE? IF SO, WHAT IS IT AND WHY IS IT YOUR FAVORITE?
There are so many scriptures that inspire me but I do have one that I have referred to MANY times in the past few years...Doctrine And Covenants 101:16. "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God." The reason this scripture means so much to me is because of an experience that took place a few years ago. I was a counselor in my ward Relief Society presidency in Taylorsville at the time when Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped. At that same time, my brother and his wife's four year old nephew, Simon, was missing from the camp site that his family had been staying at. I remember lying in bed that first night feeling literally sick, not able to sleep and just wondering where he was...lost in the woods, all by himself. Sarah was the same age and I just couldn't imagine what little Simon and his family must be going through! The next morning was our Relief Society presidency meeting. At each meeting, one of us would take a turn choosing a scripture to share and this time is was Sister Taylor's turn. As she read the words "...all flesh is in my hands, be still and know that I am God" I realized that although Simon and Elizabeth were missing, God knew where they were. That brought so much comfort to me! I know that Sister Taylor was inspired to read that scripture.
As it turned out, Simon had fallen into the river and after much searching by many, my brother found his body. Although the outcome was not what we had all hoped for in Simon's case,(you can read the story here) so many wonderful things have come from that tragedy! The faith and perseverance of Simon's family has been so inspiring to me! (As you probably know, Elizabeth Smart WAS found alive!) This scripture continues to comfort me in different circumstances and has been a real blessing in my life!
Monday, January 7, 2008
Memory Monday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
YAY!!! So glad you decided to play along with Memory Monday. Love your entry today...and can't WAIT for our double date night. WOOOHOOOO! We totally need it! Hey...I see one of the journals I gave Nicole. So fun!!!! She's such a great example as far as keeping a journal! Such a great gal!!! Talk to you soon!
Thanks for sharing that scripture. It was just what I needed for today. That story is so sad, that's pretty amazing about the gatorade bottle floating in the same spot. Marty has done a great job with our shower..sorry he's been gone so much! I'm sure he'll be glad when this week is over! We are excited for carpet on friday!
I love this scripture too,
...be still, and know that I am God.
Are there any more comforting words than these?
It's not always easy to remember that Heavenly Father knows each and everyone of us, where we are, and what we need, but, I know that He does. Thank you for posting this today.
Post a Comment