Shabby blogs Board Shorts

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Remembering our Prophet


Sunday night we were visiting my parents when my brother called to inform us that our dear prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley had died. My dad had previously told me that someone he knows from President Hinckley's ward had told him that they felt it wouldn't be long before his death because of his condition the last week when he attended church in a wheelchair. I still didn't expect it so soon because he was still working hard up until last Wednesday and although he has seemed a little week, he still had so much stamina. When I first heard the news I felt joy for him because I could just imagine the reunion with his sweet wife and other loved ones. As I have had more time to watch the TV reports and think about him, I have been surprised at how emotional I have been. Although most of us have never even met him in person, President Hinckley showed so much love and sincerity to us that it was as though he was a part of our immediate family. I love him so much and am so grateful for the influence he has had on my life and my family! We will miss him but will be forever grateful for what he has left behind for us...an unconditional and eternal love and words that we can turn to that can build us up and bring comfort to our lives.


A few of my favorite quotes from President Hinckley:

"The only way to get anything done is to get on your knees and plead for help and then get on your feet and go to work."

"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we 'accentuate the positive.' I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort."
"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. i say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us,...if we put our trust in Him, if we pray to Him, if we live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

"Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great purpose in heart."

3 comments:

Chuck and Sharon Waller said...

Thanks Linda for your comments about the Prophet. We indeed will miss his humor and wisdom. But as the quotes say " put your trust in God and move forward, things aren't as bad as some say". The work must and will go forward with our without us, I choose with! Love to all

Tam said...

Those are some of my favorite pictures of the Hinckley's. I love the memory of President Hinckley shaking his cane. They are the greatest! You guys look like you have so much fun together!

Natalie Que said...

Linda how are you doing? I have been wondering how things are going there. I hear there has been a lot of snow! Thanks for everything Linda, I have been thinking about you!