Shabby blogs Board Shorts

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Memory Monday...on Tuesday!

Here is the memory challenge that my friend Heather gave for this week:
TELL ABOUT A TIME WHEN SOMEONE WAS ABLE TO SERVE YOU: As I think about my answer I realize that I have been blessed many times by wonderful people who somehow knew when I needed a phone call, a nice card or a plate of cookies to brighten my day. I haven't had a lot of "physical" needs, so most service I have received has been service for my heart. There was one act of service that was extra special for me and I always think about it when the word "service" comes up. After I had my last baby I struggled with postpartum depression. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced (just ask Marty - poor guy!) I had great support from my mom and sister and my own little family but other than all of them I didn't let too many people know about it. One day when I was having an exceptionally difficult day, there was a knock on the door. It was a man who lived down the street, a friend of ours. He had decided that he needed to make me a casserole. It was so simple yet meant SO much to me! I know people have meals brought in all the time when they've had a baby or are sick, but this was just a random, out-of-the-blue act of service that was done out of pure love.

Quote of the day: “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. . . . So often, our acts of service consist of simple encouragement or of giving mundane help with mundane tasks, but what glorious consequences can flow from mundane acts and from
small but deliberate deeds!” - Spencer W. Kimgall

3 comments:

Tam said...

Hey Linda,

Congratulations on the big 20! Looks like you guys had a blast... It was so fun to see your wedding picture!!! Your blog is very inspirational & uplifting-Thanks!

Tammy

The Napiers said...

Linda, I got to your blog from someone else's, I hope you don't mind. I have to tell you how inspired you are. I admire that quality in you SO much, I envy it actually. I don't have that. I lack follow through (which I have found with so many people in Utah). I am good at being upfront and loving, kind, etc, but after that I am done. It is sad really. I feel bad that I don't notice the times when the Lord is telling me I need to serve someone. It especially hit me the other day when you dropped off a plate of cookies for no reason at all. I have been struggling with feeling that people around her are fake. They're nice to your face, but they lack follow through... a lot like me. I can't be angry at them because I do the same thing. Your listening and following the Lords promptings to stop by and see me, meant more to me than you will probably ever know and it certainly made me take a look at myself and the things I need to work on. THANK YOU!!! By the way... Happy 20! Your are a magnificent person and I love you. -Susan Napier

daisykaye said...

Linda -
It's been so long! I can't believe I found you. We can thank my friend Lisa Bearnson for that one. I can't believe all of your kids. Wow.. Michael and Nicole are so big now. Kayla is a senior(and 18 and we have Karly (you knew that, she is almost 10)and we have Kassidy (6 yrs old) It seems like things are well for you. Congrats. Email me or go to my blog and contact me back. I would love to chat with you.
Kaye Neves