Shabby blogs Board Shorts

Friday, March 14, 2008

I always wanted to be a nurse!


Last week I helped with the third grade "reality town" (that's what the middle school calls it but I can't remember what the elementary school calls it). Basically there were tables set up that represent different businesses (financial, medical, entertainment, housing, investing etc.) I was in charge of the medical table so I borrowed some scrubs and took my handy dandy medical kit that I bought after taking the CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) class last year. The kids were each assigned a profession and given an envelope of pretend money based on how much they made in that profession. Then they had to go to each business and draw a card that gave them a specific circumstance. At the medical table they could draw a card that said, "You broke your leg and must pay $15.00 to have it fixed" or something similar. After they had gone to each business they could repeat the ones that they wanted to. It was so funny because we had so many kids that came back to the medical table and had to pay us for additional medical expenses...just so they could get another free band aid and medicine (sweet tarts). I was very impressed by the whole program and had a lot of fun playing nurse - I always wanted to be a nurse when I was a little girl. My kids love having me help with things at their school and I'm grateful that I can easily arrange my schedule to do it!

I just have to share something funny that happened a couple of weeks ago. While my kids were off track from school we went to the Aquarium and then to lunch at Sweet Tomatoes (a buffet style salad bar, soup bar etc... for those of you who haven't been there). After eating our salad I went to help the kids get some soup and other good stuff. They asked me if they could go sit down and start eating while I got my soup. About a minute or two later I went to our table and they weren't there. Immediately I knew that they must have sat at the wrong table. Sure enough, I walked to the next isle and there they were enjoying their food at a table that belonged to someone else! Just as I walked up and saw Sarah taking a drink (out of a stranger's cup!!) the people walked up in disgust and asked the hostess for a different drink. I wish I could have taken a picture of Sarah's face when she realized that she was sitting at the wrong table, drinking out of another person's cup! It was SO funny! She was pretty embarrassed but we had a good laugh! Unfortunately the other people had NO sense of humor and didn't think it was funny at all. Oh well...some people just need to lighten up!

By the way...Some friends of mine own an AWESOME scrapbook store and have recently started a blog. If you want a chance at winning a drawing, check it out at www.momandmescrapbooking.blogspot.com (sorry I couldn't make it link to their site). If you like to scrapbook you need to go check out their store! It is one of my very favorites! Jill, you're not allowed to enter the contest!!! (just kidding!)

4 comments:

britta said...

I am so excited you got to go the Rascal Flatts concert. I wanted to go so bad but was not willing to pay the cost for the tickets. EXPENSIVE!!!!! I have had fun gettin updated on your family. Very funny at Sweet Tomatoes!

{Brittany} said...

I can not believe that on top of everything you have going on you had to speak in church yesterday! Clearly, you are much too talented! Tim said that your talk was wonderful. I'm sad that I missed it, but I was at home working on "slowing down." What an ironic topic for you right now! I can tell that you've been busy. Payton had a great time yesterday in his NEW primary class. You are doing such a great job in Primary and with everything else you are doing. You are amazing!

Tam said...

I enjoyed your talk as well. I have a REALLY hard time slowing down. As much as I complain about being busy, I always have a hard time when I'm not busy.

I appreciate Sara's experience (something I would do). I would have loved to have seen "the look" on her face. Life is so funny sometimes, too bad Drink People couldn't recognize the humor!

Jennybug said...

Linda, that is sooo funny! I always think that it is funny when little kids run up to the wrong mom and grab their leg or something, but that is hysterical! Thanks for blogging about our blog! Hope your day is happy!