
Marty always teases me and calls me the chart queen. I have made so many different charts from chore charts, reading charts AND the "okey dokey" chart! When my kids went off track from school almost three weeks ago, I decided to make them "okey dokey" jars (rather than a chart) to help establish a better habit of obeying me and Marty the FIRST time we asked them to do something or, even better, to do things they know they need to without being asked. Can I just tell you that this has been magical!! I can't believe what a small incentive can do to help create a habit! This is how it works:
RULE:
When Mom or Dad asks you to do something you say, "okey dokey" and then do it within 10 seconds (usually they begin immediately but 10 seconds gives them time to find a good place to stop if they are reading, playing a game etc.)
REWARD:
1. You will get one token for each time you follow the "okey dokey" rule.
2. If you do something that you know you need to do and you do it without being asked, you will get TWO tokens...things like putting their dish in the dishwasher, cleaning up after playing with toys or any other activity, putting shoes in the basket or hanging up their coat and backpack. These are things that they have been slacking on lately.
REWARD EXCHANGE
1. .25 cents for each token (I know this can really add up, but I did this because we don't currently give an allowance and I wanted them to have a way to earn a little money and learn to manage it.)
2. Shopping at Mom's store (I have a box under my bed that has misc. items (things like books, a small craft or activity, gum, cool pens etc.)
3. A trip to Boondox costs 300 tokens (This is a big one and will take them a long time to save for if that's what they really want)
4. Extra time on the computer (4 tokens for 30 minutes). They are normally allowed 30 minutes per day)
5. A "late night" with up to 3 friends (100 tokens) We don't do sleep-overs with friends so a "late night" is kind of like a sleep-over without the sleep over part.
The exchange for money or Mom's store takes place each Monday only. The extra computer time can take place any time when Mom or Dad say it's ok. Boondox or a "late night" will be scheduled with Mom or Dad.
I bought the "tokens" at Michael's Crafts. They are the little colored, flat marbles used in fish tanks or vases. Each color represents a different amount of tokens:
Red/Orange = 1 token
Yellow = 25 tokens
Dark Blue = 50 tokens
Green = 100 tokens
Light Blue = 500 tokens
If we start to run out of orange or red tokens, they exchange 25 of them for one yellow, or 4 yellows for one green etc.
I explained to Isaac and Sarah that they are responsible for remembering to put the token in the jar. They are also responsible for using their common sense (and conscience) to determine which things they should be rewarded a token for. example: If I say, "Isaac, look at this cool picture", he knows that he doesn't need to say "okey dokey" AND that he doesn't get a token.
I can't begin to tell you how nice it has been to not have to nag my kids to do things! They are excited for me to ask them to do things and they are extra proud when they remember to do things without being reminded. I can really see how their habits are changing and eventually the jar will fade and hopefully the habits will remain. Sometimes, when they briefly forget our plan, I say an exaggerated "OK?" to remind them to say "okey dokey". Example: "Sarah, it's time to get ready for bed.....OK?"
When Nicole and Michael were young we used a chart of a snake that is really fun too! It was great for younger kids. If any of you want to know more about that, let me know.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Okey Dokey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, I love this. I NEED CHARTS at my house. My kids run ragged sometimes. I love this idea, anytime you can share some more with me, please do.
I love this idea! Thanks for putting all the details on here. I love doing charts and different incentives for my boys. I'm definitely going to try this one. Thanks again for sharing!
Post a Comment